Health & Social Care – BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate
This BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate focuses on the job sector areas of Health Care, Social Care and Early Years provision. If you are interested in how these areas affect and influence the lives of everyday people, then this course could be for you! The qualification is equivalent in size to one A-level and has been designed as a full-time programme, completed over two years.
Over the duration of the course you will complete four units of work, two of these will be examined units and two will be assignment based tasks. Of these four tasks, three are mandatory units (decided by the examination board) and one is optional.
The mandatory units are:
- Unit 1 – Human Lifespan Development (90 minute exam)
This focuses on the key aspects of growth and development and the factors which influence health.
- Unit 2 – Working in Health and Social Care (90 minute exam).
This looks at areas such as safeguarding, confidentiality and preventing discrimination and the role of the employer in supporting individuals.
- Unit 5 – Meeting Individual Care and Support Needs (assignment )
You will learn about the values and principles of meeting care and support needs when providing personalised care for individuals.
The optional unit will be chosen from the following choices:
- Unit 10 – Sociological perspectives
- Unit 11 – Psychological perspectives
- Unit 12 – Supporting individuals with additional needs
- Unit 14 – Physiological disorders and their care
Assessment (Exam Board – Edexcel)
Assessment involves both examination and assignment based tasks. In Year 12 there will be one examination and one assignment based task completed, this will also be the same for Year 13.
To study this course students would normally be expected to achieve:
7 Higher Grades including
- Grade 4 (or above) for English and Maths
- Grade 4 (or above) for other GCSE subjects
- 1 BTEC (or equivalent) at Merit or above may be included within the 7 grades
Head of Technology Faculty/Health & Social Care
Send an Email